Holman Fred Stephens - Blue Plaque
A very special day
A Blue Plaque recognising the life and work of Holman Fred Stephens was unveiled at Tonbridge station on 10th July. Stephens established his offices just a few hundred yards from the station in 1900. They were used as the headquarters for his collection of light railways until 1948. In the early years he made good use of the railway telegraph service; his telegraph address was 'Stephens, Tonbridge station'. He and his staff, including his eventual successor, W H Austen, travelled from the station to visit construction sites and his lines in operation. So the plaque is in an appropriate place in the booking hall of Tonbridge station. It is especially pleasing that, thanks to the positive response by Southeastern Railway and Tonbridge & Malling Council, the plaque has been unveiled in the 150th anniversary year of the birth of Holman F Stephens.
Holman F Stephens now has a proper tribute to his work in the town where he established his headquarters. More people will see it there than would have been the case at Salford Terrace.
Pictured are (l to r)
Pat Walsh, David Wornham, Les, Ian Legg.
Ross Shimmon with the Blue Plaque. Ross has worked hard over many years on honouring Stephens with a blue plaque. It is nice to see that work come to fruition.